Sunday, August 06, 2006

Let me first explain...


When I was 14
tried writing a poem
Wildfire, I think...
stuffed it away in a drawer
wasn't very good
tried to be deep
In 10th grade began writing
for untouched horizons
a book few people read
more were impressed with the artwork
on the cover
felt bad but...
tried again in college
"The Equinox" this time
a fruitless waste of time
something that was supposed to be
good, timeless, deep but nonetheless
remained a thought
we had meetings, wrote material
created layouts, even designed a cover
something to be angry about later
tried to be deep
a few years later
joined an org, an npo
taught me about commitment
discipline, humility, non-violent reisitance
swahili, black nationalism
and about myself
I did not cut it
tried to be deep and failed
these days I just go to work and school
complain a bit along the way
I say i'm going to church soon
paint sometimes and talk to my
grandma about budgeting and the reasons
she souldn't be driving
I worry about turning 26
talk to my 2 good friends about where I shoulda
been at my age
I thought i'd be Oprah
everyone wants to be someone, right?
But for now i've stuffed that idea in my drawer
like my first poem
and to prevent further complications these days
i try not to be too deep

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted you to know I stopped by to see what was up in the world of progressiva...start updating daily!

Anonymous said...

I'm not coming over here anymore if it's always so overly dramatic and depressing! To petes with it all!

bakerboi said...

BABY GIRL, I CAN NEVER GET ENOUGH OF YOU. i HAVE LEARNED TO ACCEPT YOU FOR YOU AND ALL THAT COMES ALONG WITH IT, YOU KNOW HOW WE DO, FUSS, FIGHT AND FELL OUT OVER OUR DISAGREEMENTS. STILL IN IT ALL WE CAME TO ACCEPT EACH OTHER. THIS IS YOU AND ALL OF YOU AND ONE DAY YOU WILL BE HAPPY, YOU'LL FIND THAT SHINNING STAR AND JUST THINK YOU MIGHT BE LOOKING IN THE WRONG PLACE, IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN IN YOU ALL ALONG.