Thursday, October 16, 2008

The bottle

So i'm on you-tube listening to some of Amiri Baraka's speeches and poems and I come across this gem, this work of art by another one of my faves, Gil Scott-Heron. This song, this video, it captures a moment in time, and expresses a reality that many of us know all too well. It lyrically puts me in the mind of Erykah Badu's "Bag Lady". The bottle he sings about is a metaphor and literal at the same time, it speaks to the bottle of alcohol, the baby bottle, and the confines of a metaphoric bottle that surrounds us I could write a whole speech about what this means to me. But I won't because less is more, and i'll just post it so you can interpret this as you will...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey you, when you come you sho'll come hard. Translation: You might keep a daily blog, but when you blog you be dropping jewels on us, girl. you just turn me on to dude. he sounds so familiar, i think i use to party to him in my younger years on the bottle and in diapers.