Thursday, January 29, 2009

on Annie Hall and others...

I don’t want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member-groucho marx (via Alvy Singer, Annie Hall)

The absolute best Woody Allen film has got to be Annie Hall. It’s neurotic, silly, witty, and on the money when it comes to relationships. Smart people amuse me, I’ve been watching films this week that have to do with intellectual idiots. People who have to high I.Q.’s but socially inept with gaping emotional voids, the first film was Dan in real life. I’ll watch anything with Steve Carrell in it, in the movie, he’s this widowed newspaper columnist who is left to care for his three daughters alone and without going deep into the plot of the film, the protagonist is smart, stable, cares for his family but is alone, at the beginning of the movie anyway… He finds love, the smart lonely widowed guy finds love. Then there was “smart people” Where the protagonist is this widowed college professor that is all too self involved. He has two children, one of which is played by Ellen Page (I hate this role for her) her character is both going in the right and wrong direction at the same time. On one hand, she’s doing well, top of her class, headed to an ivy league school, but with no friends, infatuated with her “adopted” uncle. On top of all that, she needs a mother, she's turning into a stepford wife and feeling unappreciated and lacking love most all. The smart guy of the movie, gets the girl (it's kinda random that they chose Sarah Jessica Parker for the role) and has the kids, and there seemed to be no real resolution for Ellen's character. You know, I was listening to Chris Rock talk, not telling jokes and he said something profound about comedians, he said that they are very aware of their surroundings and explained how the cliche goes "ignorance is bliss", rock then says "what's the opposite of that? Being aware of everything, now that's hell" or something like that, and at least in movies it seems to ring true. Last but not least, the most quotable film in history Annie Hall starring Allen himself. I love it, my favorite line came at it's opening and seems to describe most of the hopeless romantics I know, the other important joke, for me, is one that's usually attributed to Groucho Marx; but, I think it appears originally in Freud's "Wit and Its Relation to the Unconscious," and it goes like this - I'm paraphrasing - um, "I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member." That's the key joke of my adult life, in terms of my relationships with women.

More quotabes...(from the IMDB)
Alvy Singer: That sex was the most fun I've ever had without laughing
--------------------
[Alvy addresses a pair of strangers on the street]
Alvy Singer: Here, you look like a very happy couple, um, are you?
Female street stranger: Yeah.
Alvy Singer: Yeah? So, so, how do you account for it?
Female street stranger: Uh, I'm very shallow and empty and I have no ideas and nothing interesting to say.
Male street stranger: And I'm exactly the same way.
Alvy Singer: I see. Wow. That's very interesting. So you've managed to work out something?
--------------------------
Alvy Singer: I don't want to move to a city where the only cultural advantage is being able to make a right turn on a red light.
---------------------------
Alvy Singer: Love is too weak a word for what I feel - I luuurve you, you know, I loave you, I luff you, two F's, yes I have to invent, of course I - I do, don't you think I do?
---------------------------
Alvy Singer: It's mental masturbation!
Annie Hall: And you would know all about THAT, wouldn't you?
Alvy Singer: Hey, don't knock masturbation! It's sex with someone I love.
--------------------------
Annie Hall: So I told her about, about the family and about my feelings towards men and about my relationship with my brother. And then she mentioned penis envy. Do you know about that?
Alvy Singer: Me? I'm, I'm one of the few males who suffers from that.
--------------------------
Alvy Singer: They did not take me in the Army. I was, um, interestingly enough, I was, I was 4-P. Yes. In the, in the event of war, I'm a hostage
--------------------------
Alvy Singer: [narrating] After that it got pretty late, and we both had to go, but it was great seeing Annie again. I... I realized what a terrific person she was, and... and how much fun it was just knowing her; and I... I, I thought of that old joke, y'know, the, this... this guy goes to a psychiatrist and says, "Doc, uh, my brother's crazy; he thinks he's a chicken." And, uh, the doctor says, "Well, why don't you turn him in?" The guy says, "I would, but I need the eggs." Well, I guess that's pretty much now how I feel about relationships; y'know, they're totally irrational, and crazy, and absurd, and... but, uh, I guess we keep goin' through it because, uh, most of us... need the eggs.
---------------------------
Alvy Singer: Sun is bad for you. Everything our parents said was good is bad. Sun, milk, red meat... college.
---------------------------
Annie's family and Alvy's family converse through a split screen]
Mom Hall: How do you plan to spend the holidays, Mrs. Singer?
Alvy's Mom: We fast.
Dad Hall: Fast?
Alvy's Dad: No food. You know, to atone for our sins.
Mom Hall: What sins? I don't understand.
Alvy's Dad: To tell you the truth, neither do we.
---------------------------
[Alvy and Annie are seeing their therapists at the same time on a split screen]
Alvy Singer's Therapist: How often do you sleep together?
Annie Hall's Therapist: Do you have sex often?
Alvy Singer: [lamenting] Hardly ever. Maybe three times a week.
Annie Hall: [annoyed] Constantly. I'd say three times a week.
----------------------------
Alvy Singer: I feel that life is divided into the horrible and the miserable. That's the two categories. The horrible are like, I don't know, terminal cases, you know, and blind people, crippled. I don't know how they get through life. It's amazing to me. And the miserable is everyone else. So you should be thankful that you're miserable, because that's very lucky, to be miserable.